UW and Madison Fire Department co-hosting Campus Fire Safety Month
Apparatus Engineer Al Schmid prepares to roll out the truck from the Madison Fire Station #4, located across the street from Camp Randall Stadium. The station, known as Bucky’s House, provides services to the UW campus area.
The University of Wisconsin–Madison’s Environment, Health & Safety department, in partnership with University Housing and the Madison Fire Department, will host the first UW–Madison Campus Fire Safety Month in September.
Dates for interactive educational events are Sept. 3 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Orchard Street near the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery, Sept. 10 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Sellery and Gordon basketball courts, and Sept. 17 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the University Apartments Community Center.
There will also be raffles and giveaways taking place at each event. Scheduled activities include:
- Fire safety house
- Fire sprinkler trailer
- Hands-on fire extinguisher training (including live fire)
- “Test your fire safety knowledge” quiz
- Firefighter turnout gear to try on
- Insurance representative discussing renter’s insurance and smoke detector agreements
- UWPD alcohol impairment simulation goggles
- Madison Fire Department fire trucks
Campus Fire Safety Month is recognized across the United States with the goal of raising awareness about fire and life safety on college campuses. EH&S — Fire & Life Safety plans to make this an annual event on the UW–Madison campus.