Top spots on campus? SAFEwalk will take you there
SAFEwalk’s mission is to escort you around campus safely, so by nature their escorts cover a lot of ground. Who better to put together a roster of the best late-night spots on or near campus? Here are SAFEwalk’s picks:
- The Terrace at Memorial Union. It offers the Brat Stand, live music and beautiful lake views. “I like to get ice cream and listen to the band playing or watch a movie, but especially watch the sunset on the lake,” says Adan, a junior SAFEwalker.
- The Marquee at Union South. It’s great for late night programming as it gets colder, because you can bring in your own food and drinks and watch a movie or Badger athletics for free.
- The Sett at Union South. SAFEwalkers love to visit the Sett during SOAR to bowl, rock climb, play pool and meet the new freshmen. Of course we always try and get some ice cream afterwards.
- College Library. Although it may not seem like a fun place, Delaney, a senior SAFEwalker, says, “you can get super motivated because you are always surrounded by other people studying.”
- State Street. We love grabbing quick bites to eat and talking to people we meet — someone’s always around.
- Capitol Square. “I love to walk around it at night because it’s lit up and really beautiful,” says Sydney, a junior SAFEwalker.
- The Student Activity Center (SAC). It has offices for many student groups such as the radio station, WSUM. If the SAC is open, there’s guaranteed to be something going on.
- Ian’s Pizza. “It’s always there when you need it and it’s always open,” said Ryan, a junior SAFEwalker.
- The top of Bascom Hill. Even though hiking up the hill isn’t the most relaxing way to end a night of SAFEwalking, we love to stop at the top of Bascom after walks from the Lakeshore dorms. It’s beautiful to see Madison at night, especially when you get a clear view of the Capitol.
- Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery. “I love all the plants in the WID and all the fresh air, especially when it’s snowing outside,” says Becca, a senior SAFEwalker.
SAFEwalkers’ least favorite thing is walking alone. It’s safer and more fun to walk in groups. Call us at (608) 262-5000 — we would love to show you around campus and help you find what is going to make your time at UW unforgettable.