Search begins for new dean of students
The University of Wisconsin–Madison has begun the search for a new dean of students.
A 20-member committee of students, faculty and staff will conduct the search and recommend finalists to Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Lori Reesor.
Lauren Papp, professor and associate dean in the School of Human Ecology, and Billy Welsh, chair of Associated Students of Madison, are co-chairing the committee. The executive search firm Witt/Kieffer of suburban Chicago will assist in the effort.
Former Dean of Students Lori Berquam left the role in August after more than a decade to begin a fellowship through the American Council on Education. Argyle Wade is serving as interim dean.
The dean of students is a senior administrator in student affairs who assists in planning, implementing and assessing strategic initiatives related to student success. The dean is responsible for ensuring that campus units respond to all students’ needs effectively and compassionately, and advocating for their interests in the context of the larger university mission and institutional goals.
Reesor says preferred candidates will have a strong background in student affairs with progressive leadership experience; a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion and social justice; and an understanding of current issues in student development and student service provision.
The position will be posted later this month, with applications due by early March. The anticipated start date is summer 2019.
In addition to Papp and Welsh, members of the search and screen committee are the following:
- Julie Barnett, student
- Harry Brighouse, professor of philosophy
- Sherri Charleston, assistant vice provost, Division of Diversity, Equity, and Educational Achievement
- Arturo Tito Diaz, organizational development specialist, Multicultural Student Center
- Laura Downer, student
- Gabby Green, student
- Mark Guthier, director, Wisconsin Union
- Nick Hunter, student status examination associate, Office of the Registrar
- Rachel Jeris, senior university legal counsel, Office of Legal Affairs
- Bill Karpus, dean of the Graduate School
- Andrea Lawson, co-director of Mental Health Services, University Health Services
- Ashley Lax, assistant director of competitive sports, Division of Recreational Sports
- Sunita Nandihalli, student
- Sarah Oleksy, director of residence life, University Housing
- Roopa Rawjee, assistant dean, International Student Services
- Tonya Schmidt, assistant dean, Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards
- Chris Verhaeghe, assistant director of orientation initiatives, Center for the First-Year Experience
- Xueli Wang, associate professor, Educational Leadership & Policy Analysis
Look for more information about the search process and dean of students position in January.