Search and screen panel named for WID director
A search and screen committee has been named to find the first permanent director for the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery.
Martin Cadwallader, vice chancellor for research and dean of the Graduate School, says the committee is accepting nominations and hopes to have a candidate selected by late spring.
“There is a lot of excitement around the concept of the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery,” Cadwallader says. “We’re hoping that level of anticipation draws a pool of impressive candidates from inside and outside the university who can carry a strong vision for the institute and provide leadership.”
When a position listing is finalized, a Jan. 15, 2011 application deadline will be set, Cadwallader says.
Former UW–Madison chancellor John Wiley has served as interim director of the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery since November 2008. Waisman Center Director Marsha Mailick Seltzer, chair of the search committee and professor of social work, served as the institute’s first interim director from 2006 to 2008.
The search committee also includes:
• John Denu, professor of biomolecular chemistry and Wisconsin Institute for Discovery Epigenetics theme leader;
• Brian G. Fox, professor of biochemistry;
• Sara Guyer, associate professor of English and director of the Center for the Humanities;
• Derek Hei, senior scientist at the Waisman Clinical BioManufacturing Facility;
• Sangtae Kim, executive director of the Morgridge Institute for Research;
• Miron Livny, professor of computer sciences and director of core computational technology at the Morgridge Institute for Research;
• Petra Schroeder, assistant dean for research services in the UW–Madison Graduate School, and,
• John Yin, professor of chemical and biological engineering and Wisconsin Institute for Discovery Systems Biology theme leader.
Nominations for director for the Wisconsin Institute of Discovery can be sent to:
Dean Martin T. Cadwallader
c/o Anne Mekschun
Room 307 Bascom Hall
500 Lincoln Drive
Madison, WI 53706-1380