Outstanding alumni chapters award scholarships to UW-Madison students
Chapters of the Wisconsin Alumni Association (WAA) have awarded $617,000 in scholarships to University of Wisconsin–Madison students this year.
“The WAA scholarship program continually supports new generations of students attending the University of Wisconsin,” says Paula Bonner, WAA president and CEO. “The generosity and hard work of our alumni chapters across the country makes it possible for many young Badgers to have the opportunity to attend our great university.”
This year, WAA chapters awarded scholarships to 357 students from Wisconsin and 19 other U.S. states. The average award was more than $1,300.
WAA chapters have awarded more than $10 million since the Matching Dollar Scholarship Program began in 1967. Local alumni and university friends can donate through the program, through which WAA and the UW Foundation match donations dollar for dollar.
Each year, WAA designates chapters that excel at providing support to incoming students and local alumni as Bascom Chapters, a designation that allows these chapters to receive additional support from WAA as they meet the diverse needs of all graduates.
At a ceremony in October, WAA honored the 2009 Bascom Chapters for communicating with and engaging a broad range of alumni in their areas. They are also recognized for promoting the mission and spirit of UW–Madison through a wide array of program offerings.
“Bascom Chapters represent the highest tier of WAA alumni chapters around the country,” says Peter C. Christianson, chair of WAA’s national board of directors. “We are proud to recognize these chapters and their volunteer leaders for their meaningful contributions to Badgers living in their areas and for making a positive impact in their communities.”
WAA is proud to add the WAA: Milwaukee Chapter to the list of many returning honorees from 2008. The 2009 Bascom Chapters are:
- WAA: Bay Area Badgers Chapter (San Francisco)
- WAA: Big Apple Badgers Chapter (New York City)
- WAA: Boston Area Chapter (Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine)
- WAA: Brown County Chapter (Green Bay, Ashwaubenon, DePere, Wis.)
- WAA: Chicago Chapter
- WAA: Chippewa Valley Chapter (Eau Claire, Chippewa Falls, Menomonie, Wis.)
- WAA: Los Angeles Chapter (Los Angeles, Hollywood, Long Beach, Pasadena, Calif.)
- WAA: Mile High Chapter (Denver)
- WAA: Milwaukee Chapter
- WAA: Motor City Badgers Chapter (Detroit)
- WAA: Orange County Chapter (Anaheim, Huntington Beach, Mission Viejo, Santa Ana, Yorba Linda, Calif.)
- WAA: Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley Chapter (Philadelphia; Camden, N.J.)
- WAA: Rochester Chapter (Rochester, Pine Island, Zumbrota, Mazeppa, Byron, Kasson, Mantorville, Stewartville, Winona, Minn.)
- WAA: St. Louis Chapter
- WAA: Twin Cities Chapter (Minneapolis, St. Paul, Bloomington, Coon Rapids, Minn.)
- WAA: Washington, D.C., Chapter (Washington, D.C.; Arlington, Va.; and Bethesda and Silver Spring, Md.)
- WAA: Waukesha County Chapter (Wisconsin)
These chapters receive a special donation to their scholarship programs, free raffle items for chapter events, and eligibility to apply for grants to fund chapter events and leadership trainings.
More information about WAA’s chapters and affiliate groups is available at http://uwalumni.com/chapters.