MPD seeks information on Park St. stabbing
Madison police are investigating the apparent stabbing death of a 23-year-old man after a fight at a south side gas station this weekend.
Although UW–Madison students live in apartments and houses in the nearby area, there are no known campus ties to the victim or assailant or known threats to the neighborhood.
Investigators say they believe the man was stabbed during a large fight involving several people at the BP station in the 300 block of South Park Street at around 2 a.m. on Sunday, March 27.
Police said it appears no one involved in the disturbance lives in the immediate area. A person of interest is in custody at this time and the investigation is continuing.
However, UWPD and MPD continue to urge students to consider their own personal safety, especially while out at night. The tips include:
- Never walk alone, particularly at night.
- Carry a cell phone and dial 911 for help.
- Lock your doors, even when you are home.
- Campus and downtown are part of a growing city. Use your instincts and common sense as your first defense.
- Don’t let anyone you don’t know into your apartment or residence hall.
- If you plan to drink, do so in moderation to avoid putting yourself in a position of increased risk.
Investigators say that they want to speak with anyone who may have been in the area of the gas station at the time of the disturbance.
Anyone with information can call Madison Area Crime Stoppers at (608) 266-6014. Callers can remain anonymous.
Tags: UW-Madison Police