Finalists named for advising director role at UW–Madison
As part of a comprehensive plan to improve academic advising services — recognized as a critical element of undergraduate education — the University of Wisconsin–Madison has announced five finalists for a newly created position of director of undergraduate advising.
The position was created and funded through the Madison Initiative for Undergraduates, which charges a supplemental tuition fee to students to provide for additional faculty and enhanced student services.
As part of the role, the new director will articulate a campus vision for undergraduate advising; provide leadership, advocacy and expertise related to undergraduate advising; and create a structure for cross-campus communication and collaboration. The position, which will report to the vice provost for teaching and learning, will begin in early 2012.
The finalists, as well as when they will meet with representatives from the advising community and present a public presentation on “The Future of Advising in a Decentralized Campus,” are:
- William Watts, assistant dean for advising services, College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln. Wednesday, Nov. 16, 11 a.m.–noon, Room 2188, Mechanical Engineering
- Jennifer Hodges, assistant dean, University College at the University of Akron. Friday, Nov. 18, 11 a.m.–noon, Room 2180, Mechanical Engineering
- Jennifer Joslin, director of academic advising, Division of Undergraduate Studies at the University of Oregon. Monday, Nov. 21, 11 a.m.–noon, Room 2188, Mechanical Engineering
- Wren Singer, assistant dean and director, Center for First-Year Experience at UW–Madison. Tuesday, Nov. 22, 11 a.m.–noon, Room 2188, Mechanical Engineering
- Timothy Walsh, assistant dean and director, Cross-College Advising Service at UW–Madison. Thursday, Dec. 1, 11 a.m.–noon, Room 2180, Mechanical Engineering
Feedback may be shared at the public presentations or by email at email@example.com.
For additional background on improvements to the campus advising structure, visit http://www.provost.wisc.edu/MIUadvisingWG.html or http://www.news.wisc.edu/releases/16651.