Weather advisory: May 12 commencement at Camp Randall
As Saturday’s outdoor commencement ceremony at Camp Randall Stadium approaches, we are hopeful Mother Nature will cooperate. Due to the size of the gathering, it’s not feasible to move the ceremony indoors.
Given the chance of cool weather and rain, please be aware of the following:
- The ceremony is scheduled to be held at Camp Randall Stadium beginning at noon Saturday rain or shine. This means even heavy rain will not cause the ceremony to be cancelled. Only severe weather, such as lightning, would cause a delay or cancellation.
- Graduates and guests should dress for the weather and anticipate cool temperatures in the 40s and 50s. Umbrellas are not permitted inside the stadium. Raincoats and ponchos are recommended.
- The stadium’s inside concourses are limited in capacity and not available for viewing the ceremony. Those who wish to view the ceremony indoors may do so at Memorial Union (Der Rathskeller) or Union South (The Sett and the Marquee Cinema). The ceremony also will be livestreamed at wisc.edu and on the UW–Madison Facebook page.
- In the event of severe weather, the ceremony may be delayed, paused or cancelled. The safety of our guests will always be the first priority. University officials will consider delaying the ceremony for up to two hours.
- If a schedule adjustment is required on Saturday, information will be shared via email, our website (wisc.edu), social media (@UWMadison on Twitter, UWMadison on Facebook) and local news media.
- Inside Camp Randall, instructions will be given via public address announcements and video screen messages. Graduates and guests are asked to attend to those announcements and remain seated unless instructed otherwise.
UW-Madison began holding a single undergraduate commencement ceremony at Camp Randall in 2014 as a way of uniting the graduating class for a final celebration as they depart campus.
Regardless of weather, all other commencement-related weekend activities, including Friday evening’s ceremony at the Kohl Center for doctoral, MFA and medical students, will continue as scheduled. This includes the many receptions hosted by schools and colleges within the university.