UW-Madison graduate programs ranked high by U.S. News
UW–Madison graduate programs are once again ranked among the nation’s best in the 2019 edition of U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Graduate Schools.”
“The fact that so many of the graduate programs at UW–Madison are ranked is a testament to our senior leadership, who foster an environment of academic excellence; our outstanding faculty and staff, who lead cutting-edge research programs; and our creative students, who bring curiosity and vibrancy to address the most important questions that society faces today,” says William Karpus, dean of UW–Madison’s Graduate School.
U.S. News does not rank all programs each year. View last year’s rankings.
The UW–Madison programs ranked this year are:
- Business: 37th for top MBA program; 32nd for part-time MBA program. Ranked specialties include accounting (25th), marketing (24th), supply chain/logistics (24th).
- Education: Second. Ranked specialties include administration and supervision (first), counseling and personnel services (third), curriculum and instruction (first), education policy (third), educational psychology (first), elementary education (fourth), secondary education (sixth), special education (10th).
- Engineering: 20th. Ranked specialties include biological/agricultural (14th), biomedical/bioengineering (21st), chemical (seventh), civil (16th), computer (13th), electrical/electronic/communications (15th), environmental/environmental health (17th), industrial/manufacturing/systems (seventh), materials (14th), mechanical (16th), nuclear (fifth).
- Law: 27th. Ranked specialties include clinical training (31st).
- Medicine: 28th in medical research, 14th in primary care. Ranked specialties include radiology (14th).
- Nursing: 28th for schools with a doctor of nursing practice.
- Public Affairs: 23rd. Ranked specialties include health policy and management (10th), public management and leadership (12th), public policy analysis (15th), social policy (fifth).
- Social Work: 11th.
- Biology: 18th. Ranked specialties include microbiology (first).
- Chemistry: Ninth. Ranked specialties include analytical (third), biochemistry (eighth), inorganic chemistry (ninth), organic chemistry (14th), physical chemistry (ninth).
- Computer Science: 13th. Ranked specialties include artificial intelligence (20th), programming language (ninth), systems (seventh), theory (20th).
- Earth Sciences: 15th. Ranked specialties include geochemistry (eighth), geology (seventh).
- Mathematics: 16th. Ranked specialties include algebra/number theory/algebraic geometry (11th), analysis (11th), logic (ninth).
- Physics: 17th.
- Statistics: Department of Statistics (16th), School of Medicine and Public Health (24th).