Campus open for instruction Monday, plan ahead for snow
Last updated: 6:45 p.m. Sunday
UW-Madison plans to hold classes and operate normally Monday. Students, faculty and staff are asked to plan ahead for a snowy Monday morning commute.
Ensuring your safety should always be a top priority. Anyone who feels that it is unsafe to travel to campus is asked to contact their professor, TA, instructor or supervisor and make alternate arrangements or an accommodation.
Please note, UW continues to monitor forecasts related to extreme cold predicted for Tuesday night through Thursday afternoon. Any changes to operations will be announced closer to the time they would take effect.
Updates will be shared via local news sources, social media, mass email and the wisc.edu home page.
More info for students, faculty and staff:
Students: Students are also urged to dress appropriately for the cold and contact instructors if they cannot safely travel to class meetings.
In addition, students are encouraged to:
- Minimize time outdoors if walking across campus. Use any public building as a warming area and review ways to stay safe.
- Use Mobile UW or http://map.wisc.edu to plan the most efficient route.
- Leave enough time to travel to campus by Madison Metro bus, keeping in mind that buses could be running near capacity.
Employees: In the event that employees can not safely travel to campus or there are school closings that require alternate childcare arrangements, employees should notify supervisors and make alternate arrangements (see the Inclement Weather Guidelines.)
Faculty who make individual decisions to cancel class meetings are asked to notify students and department offices of any class cancellations and plans to reschedule.
Building managers: Physical Plant staff will be closely monitoring weather conditions to keep the heating systems running efficiently and buildings on campus comfortable.
If there are heat or other building-related issues, please call the Physical Plant Customer Service (formerly CARS) at (608) 263-3333.
Commuters: To stay informed of winter delays, cancellations and other inclement weather service information you can:
- Contact Metro’s customer service center at (608) 266-4466
- For additional information on managing winter weather impacts to travel, visit the UW Transportation Services website.
- Or see more info about staying safe in the cold
Motorists: Employees who need assistance while parking in a campus lot can contact UWPD, (608) 264-COPS, or Transportation Services, (608) 263-6666, for assistance. Services available include use of a mobile phone, telephone numbers of motorist services, salt/sand and a heated vehicle.